Growing Up Blind

    I meant to post this several days ago, but you know how it is this time of year with the holidays and all. In any case, I figured I'd take the time to write a little about myself. As I stated in my first post, I've been blind since birth.

    My Mom was six and a half months pregnant when she had me. I was born weighing one and a half pounds. I was eleven inches long and my lungs weren't fully developed. I was immediately put on oxygen, but I was still in a lot of danger. My mom was informed not to get her hopes up. I might not pull through and if I did, there might be a lot of complications. I could either become brain damaged or mentally challenged. The other option, which was probably the best that anyone could hope for, was that I became completely blind.
    I was in the hospital for eight months. When I was finally able to go home, I was accompanied by a portable oxygen machine. Due to my premature birth, I was very sickly as a child. I didn't let that stop me. I fought hard through each illness until I was nine. Despite everything, I was a normal child.
    Some blind people grow up having to be told they couldn't see. Others had to figure it out for themselves. None of that was the case for me. I always knew I was different. It was completely normal for me to have my Mom try to show me what colors were while everyone else around me had know trouble seeing them.
    I never asked why I couldn't see. Instead, I soaked in whatever knowledge anyone tried to give me. I loved exploring anything I could get my hands on. I was fascinated with listening to short audiobooks and watching TV.
    It's funny, I have been asked, why do I say "watching TV" when I clearly can't see it. I grew up hearing that just because I lacked vision, that didn't mean I had to say different words that meant generally the same thing. For me, my way of seeing TV was to hear it. If I said I wanted to look at something or "let me see it", I felt it with my hands. I even used to feel the shapes of peoples' faces but as I got older, I found it embarrassing, thinking people might feel weirded out or uncomfortable.
    It was the same for whatever colors I might like. If I thought something sounded pretty, I went with it. It was what I knew. In fact, thanks to my family, my favorite color is a bright yellow. When my much older brother and sister were in school and I was little, they used to sing: "we all live in the yellow submarine." The song grew on me and the color became mine.
    In school, I usually had a teacher who would pull me aside to teach me braille, (the method in which a blind person reads), and how to do simple math. When I got a little older, I changed schools, attending the new school with another blind  girl who became one of my best friends. Having a friend who was blind made all the difference.
    I got really lonely at times, although I didn't know it then. I was used to playing by myself, having two siblings who were a great deal older than me. My closest friends before my classmate were my twin cousins. They were a year younger than me and learned early on how to guide  me. This is called sighted guide, where the person who is blind has to hold onto the one who can see by the elbow so as not to trip over uneven ground or steps. Many mistakes were made and I gained some bruises and scrapes by sometimes walking too fast and not being warned ahead of time that I was nearing something that could hurt me.
    There were times I got a little more than a small bruise. I was once run head on into a pole. Luckily, I didn't break anything. I was very wary of letting others guide me after that. Another time I busted open my top lip in the gym. I was taught to always feel with one hand whenever I was bending down or getting up, but that day, I was more focused on other things and not paying attention. A similar incident occurred a year later, leaving a scar across the upper bridge of my nose.

    It wasn't all bad. Next post, I'll talk about some of the hijinks I got up to as a kid. I said above that I didn't let my blindness stop me. Had my Mom known all that I did back then, she would have had a heart attack. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Thuy Trang and Trini Mean To Me

Yea! I'm Not Insane, But I Blame My Husband

The Boy Who Lived