Yea! I'm Not Insane, But I Blame My Husband

    If you've stumbled across this website and looked at the overall title of this blog, you've probably already guessed, I'm blind, have been since birth. I'll write more on that later. For now, I want to talk about something that interests me very much. It'll explain the title of this first post.

    I guess it's true what they say, some people just never stop playing with toys. I happen to be one of them. I would however like to say that this resurgence into collecting is all my husband's fault!
As a child, I played with baby dolls. Not your standard, use your own imagination, and they'll do or say anything you like. Not barbies that you had to dress and create fantastic hair styles for and pretend they went out with only the most sophisticated guys. For me, all of those were as boring as it got. No, all my dolls had to make some kind of noise, whether it was crying or talking, laughing or sneezing!
    Yes, I once owned a doll that sneezed and coughed. I can't recall her name. And no, it wasn't Mr. Ticklesneezer! I only remember that she spoke Spanish and her cheeks glowed. My Mom said they glowed red.
    As a teen, I collected porcelain dolls, the earlier type no longer holding any appeal. I found them fascinating with their smooth cool faces and unique hair styles. No two were alike. I still have them all, except for the first one that I received from my Grandma when I was six. It mysteriously disappeared when I was nine. She used to sit on my Mom's glass shelf and one day, she was gone. I still think about her sometimes and regret not being able to find her.
    Now that I'm an adult, I thought it was time I stopped collecting things and settle-down. Well it turns out, I couldn't. You see, I had to go and find a man who is nothing more than a big kid himself.
    He loves to play video games and collect movies. I thought, that's fine, more power to him. I never played many games when I was little, video or otherwise. As for movies, I get them from a descriptive video website and so, have no use collecting them on disk.
    One day, during the summer of last year, we were at Walmart. He couldn't find any games he wanted and so picked up an action figure instead. I didn't mind. I thought, ok, this is different, but cool. It was from the Anime show called Dragonball Z. As he took it out of the box and handed it to me, I realized I didn't really know what the figure looked like, even though he'd described it to me before.
    For the first time, I physically got to see how cartoony they looked. If they all look like this I thought, I want to see more. So he began buying more figures.
    We got to talking about me buying some action figures, but I didn't know where to begin. I couldn't think of anything I would like. Then we started discussing the Power Rangers TV show and the action figures that had come from it.
    Mighty Morphin Power Rangers was my favorite show for a while growing up. I will get into the show and talk about why I didn't watch it after that, in a later post. For now, let's just say, my husband had at last found something I was interested in. So I began collecting action figures and recently, a couple of the Power Rangers For Girls line of dolls.
    Wait, you say, you said you found dolls like that boring when you were a kid! That's true, I did. But it's Trini and Kimberly, I had to buy them, especially Trini. Again, more on her later.
    In any case, I won't be posting much about the action figures and dolls here. We plan on making videos showing them off on Youtube. I'll let you know when they're available. Since we're sending them to a friend for editing, it'll take awhile.

    I wrote all of that, to say this. I'm a strange one when it comes to collecting action figures and now, dolls. Let me explain.
    Since most of them are based on actual people, it's hard for me not to look at them and wonder what they'd say if they could only speak. Ok, go ahead, laugh. It won't bother me!
    I can't help but to look at an action figure or a doll, then begin imagining all that they might say or do. Yes, I have a tendency to, sometimes act as if they are real. To me, they are all unique in their own way and each of them have their own personality.
    Maybe I'm weird. Maybe I didn't have enough friends growing up. (Ok, so I truly didn't have a lot of friends when I was little.) Maybe I just like inventing stuff for the fun of it, Or maybe I just simply have a wild imagination that tends to run away from me at times. Whatever the case, I love my toys and would have it no other way.
    I have to give credit where credit's due. Thanks to Tam over at planetofthedolls.blogspot.com, I now feel that how I view dolls and action figures isn't that much different from others. I'm not the only one who feels this way. Some just don't take it as far as I do.
    I honestly think the reason I do it is because aside from physically seeing what they look like and displaying them, I would quickly lose interest. So having them each possess a personality, keeps me amused and wanting to collect more, if only to see what they'll look like and what kind of person they'd be, were they able to come alive. If I carry it a little further than most, it's ok. Weird I know, but it's who I am.

 

Comments

  1. Congratulations on your first post. Well done. I never thought about a blind person wanting to collect something as visual as dolls. I understand what you mean about enjoying the feel though. I can't stand the feel of bisque, but some porcelain or China dolls, and even some really nice vinyl or resin ones are wonderful to touch. Usually too expense for me though. You might say, I just can't 'touch' them. Ha.
    I bet people are wondering why you thanked me! Good luck on your blog. You might want to leave a link on the post I just published so more people will read it quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for being my first commenter! (Smiles happily.) Now post what link, where? (Confused face.) Sorry, I'm so new at this, I may need a little help from time to time.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What Thuy Trang and Trini Mean To Me

The Boy Who Lived